[Sca-cooks] Rose Sugar containers

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Mon Nov 4 09:05:03 PST 2002

Sue Shephard  in Pickled, Potted, and Canned discusses this at length.
Meat and fish were potted under layers of fat; fruit and vegetables
might be preserved in liquid measures of honey, sugar syrups, brine,
alcohol, and vinegars, all mediums that helped to preserve the foods.
Many of the candied fruits were boxed. Those that were put in containers
might be sealed with papers laid on the surface and then sealed with
clean dried bladders. You were supposed to keep an eye on them and make
sure that they didn't mold; if you found mold, then you removed the
contents and removed the mold and repackaged them.
Fettiplace talks about keeping near the fire in a cupboard.
In this case the sugar, we mght suppose, ought to be sealed with a
stopper or lid/cork/whatever that fits the container.

Johnnae llyn Lewis  Johnna Holloway

Stefan li Rous wrote:snipped