[Sca-cooks] Sca-cooks Zabaglione

Martin G. Diehl mdiehl at nac.net
Sun Nov 3 00:09:57 PST 2002

Lisa Dennen wrote:

> I just tried making this last weekend.  I never even
> thought of using a double boiler for it!  It did
> turn out...ok.   I didn't have any Marsala so I used
> what was on hand (mead).  And I used way too much
> Cinnamon.
> I used the recipe from Scully's Neapolitan Recipe
> Collection.
> For your recipe, about how many would it serve?

The source I used didn't say.  My guess was that
2 oz of wine would be 1 serving, and with the recipe
calling for 1 cup of Marsala, it would probably
serve 4 people.

Based on that, at the MetalSmith's Symposium, we
prepared the Saturday evening feast for 100.

The Zablione recipe was scaled up by a factor of 25
-- but with less cinnamon.  In addition, I tasted
the mix when about 100 oz of Marsala (instead of my
original estimate of 200 oz)) had been added to the
mix.  The taste of the wine was very strong, and I
stopped adding the wine at that point.

Since ot much of the Zablione was left that evening,
my guess that the original recipe served 4 was
probably corect.

> Thank you!
> YIS,
> Lady Isabetta Seraphina di Petrillo