[Sca-cooks] Got a question about frozen turkey

Nick Sasso NJSasso at msplaw.com
Mon Nov 4 06:31:00 PST 2002

> Also sprach Heleen Greenwald:
> >Got a question about frozen turkey.  so I have 2 turkeys that are
> >dated: 'sell by Jan 22, '02'.  They have been in my freezer since
> >some time last January. I want to donate them both to the woman's

Thus sprach Adamantius
> to make absolutely sure there are no liability lawsuits, than a
clear
> statement that anything past that date is going to be either
> dangerous or even of low quality.
>
> I would guess that turkeys kept properly frozen for 10 months past
> their sell-by date may have suffered some very slight quality
> diminution, but probably not much. They may not have suffered any
> quality loss at all. You might simply ask the people at the center
> what they think; if they unwrap them and they're all freezer-burned
> or otherwise funkified, they have the option of not using them.
>
> Adamantius (obvious child of depression-era parents?)

I would also recommend calling any customer service/questions phone
number that might appear on the label of said frozen foul.  I have found
those people on the phone to be generally helpful in determining lots of
stuff, and they might be willing to tell you about quality drop over the
time of hard freeze.  You may even find them offering to replace the
turkey with a fresh one . . . . stuff like that happens to me often, so
I call whenever I have the least question or concern with a product.

pacem et bonum,
niccolo difrancesco