[Sca-cooks] names, was colours of belts etc

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Tue Nov 5 23:05:01 PST 2002

Anne said:
> It's said Maura or Moira... those are the modern English spellings of
> the name. Have no idea what the medieval pronunciation was.

Uh oh. Then I really was off a bit. I thought that "Maire" was
pronounced close to "Mary". I definitely don't see how you get
"Maura" or "Moira" from that spelling. I could easily see where
they might come from the same root word, but have changed their
pronounciation over the centuries.

> My name in Irish would be Aine, which is pronounced "Awnya."
And again, I would expect "Aine" to be pronounced fairly close to

"Ann" with a bit of a differance I don't know how to describe. But
not so far off as "Awnya". Maybe "Awnye".

Well, I guess there is a good reason I'm not a voice herald...

Got a good file on being one though... :-)
    Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas         StefanliRous at austin.rr.com