[Sca-cooks] OT 1940's House

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Fri Nov 8 08:29:48 PST 2002

Since no one seemed to answer this, I decided to do the librarian thing
and see what I could do--
Googling the phrase "1940's house" turns up some interesting sites--
including one that describes the program as
a sort of historical Big Brother.
There is a companion book in England and lots of English websites. There
are downloadable worksheets. The sites are interesting to browse through
even if they don't answer the question. See these:

http://www.iwm.org.uk/lambeth/1940s_index.htm
http://www.allthatwomenwant.com/wartimerecipes.htm
and while PBS may not have a website Channel 4 does--
http://www.channel4.com/history/microsites/0-9/1940house/

Perhaps Channel 4 or the Imperial War Museum could be queried
directly for an answer.
-------------
The production company that did this series is working on this new
project: The Tournament War and chivalry

Tournaments are intimately bound up with a certain received image of
Medieval life. An image that owes more to the twin influences of
Hollywood movies and theme park Britain than to historical reality. In
Tournament we strip away the ersatz pageantry and, by creating and
staging an authentic contest, we reveal the purpose and the power of
these hugely popular events in the Middle Ages.
http://www.walltowall.co.uk/projects/project.asp?ProjectID=186

Hope this helps--

Johnna Holloway Johnnae llyn Lewis

I have a number of books on this topic of wartime foods and memoirs that
address this era, but most are not available.
(Ask Louise S. about the number of boxes I have of books that are not
shelved.) I did check Bombers and Mash which covers "The Domestic Front"
in the UK. Nothing about parsley.

Elizabeth A Heckert wrote:

>   I just saw the 'back-in-time' experiment to 1940s Britain on the local
> PBS station.  I could have *sworn* the narrator suggested that a war-time
> recipe innovator had come up with a way to make honey out of boiled> parsley.    Did anyone> else see it, or does anyone have an interest WWII cooking substitutions
> who can answer my question??>    Thanks!>    Elizabeth
-------------
The family had the lady who created the recipe to tea.  Her initials
were M P (I think on the 'P').  The narrator stated that she had been
instrumental in creating substitutions for the war effort.  I did not
recognize her name, but (I missed this segment) she was the person to
introduce the family to their house.  Elizabeth
The show is called "The 1940's House," the video was advertised for
sale<
http://www.shop.pbs.org/cust/cdeploy?ecaction=ecwalkin&template=shoppbs/products/ecproditemview.en.html&sku=NFOH900
>They don't seem to have a page for the show itself.

I'm getting nowhere trying to find anything online about wartime honey
substitutes.Selene C.
-----------
I caught it on TV last night too, and they definitely said that about
the boiled parsley, yes.  I have no idea how you're meant to do
it,though!
Yours, Katherine
It occurs to me, having cooked things like parsnips in plain, salted
water, and gotten a syrupy liquid in the bottom of the pan, that one
might boil the roots of parsley (maybe wild?) and get some kind of
sugary stuff, which, by the time it is boiled down until thick, might
have something like the aggressive flavor of honey, or vaguely close
to it... Adamantius