[Sca-cooks] casserole type dishes

Sue Clemenger mooncat at in-tch.com
Sun Nov 10 13:18:05 PST 2002

I did several make-ahead, or partly make-ahead dishes for our
recently-past Harvest Court, and they both worked out fine.
One is a meat recipe (we used lamb, but it's also quite tasty with
beef), that involves cooking the meat (it's stewed) with the spices, and
separately cooking the veggies that go into it (quite a range of
possible veggies, too...I used carrots and turnips).  The dish is
finished by draining the vegetables (you toss the water), combining it
with the meat, and adding some vinegar.  It works really slick if you
want to do the meat in advance, and then just freeze it.  The day of the
event (I've also done it for a camping potluck), all you have to do is
make sure the meat's thawed, the veggies are peeled and cooked, they're
combined and heated, and the vinegar's added.  About 20 mins. worth of
prep time the day it's served, for a version that feeds 8.
The other (also Islamic) dish that I've successfully done part of ahead
of time, frozen, and then finished on the event day is a chicken dish
from His Grace's website (in the current version of the _Miscellany_).
It involves cooking chicken (IIRC, the original version uses whole
chickens, but I used parts, for convenience' sake) which are cooked with
spices and a little vinegar and oil.  You then add a thickener/sauce
made of sugar, ground almonds, and rosewater.  I just froze the cooked
chicken (after cooling).  The cooked meat was thawed the day of the
event, and reheated, adding the sauce ingredients only then.
Both were first-time dishes for my barony , but were apparently quite
popular.  I can dig out the recipes for you, if you like.
--Maire, going back to weekend chores now.....