[Sca-cooks] non-sweet Elizabethan dishes

Kirrily Robert skud at infotrope.net
Mon Nov 11 10:02:25 PST 2002

Johnna wrote:
> How about a salad w/o the dried fruit? There are still beets, or
> mushrooms or cucumbers in some sort of a pickle.

Yup, I've thought about that.  Unfortunately it comes up against the
other complaint my friend has about many SCA feasts: "too many sides,
but no main dishes".  She asked, "when someone sitting next to me is
chowing down on a great big roast turkey leg (or whatever), what will I
be eating that won't make me feel like I'm missing out?"

> And spinach in fritters
> or spiced. While some of the recipes call for sugar, it need not be a
> great deal of sugar, especially if the recipe calls for strewing it over
> the dish when serving.

Mmhmm.  Elizabethan stuff all tends to have some sugar, but I don't
usually make it mega-sweet.

Yours,

Katherine

katherine at infotrope.net  http://infotrope.net/sca/