[Sca-cooks] non-sweet Elizabethan dishes

Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Mon Nov 11 10:32:10 PST 2002

Ene bichizh ogsen baina shuu...

> Yup, I've thought about that.  Unfortunately it comes up against the
> other complaint my friend has about many SCA feasts: "too many sides,
> but no main dishes".  She asked, "when someone sitting next to me is
> chowing down on a great big roast turkey leg (or whatever), what will I
> be eating that won't make me feel like I'm missing out?"

OK, while I admit I have little sympathy for folks who refuse perfectly good
food, and then complain that they didn't get enough to eat, what would the
vegetabletarians on the List suggest as a main dish? Does she eat milk,
cheese, fish, or eggs? Mac and cheese is period, as are an assortment of egg
dishes. Something like that, which would be a side for everyone else could
be presented as a special, large dish for the person- 1 bowl for her, one
bowl for the rest of the table. Or, if she's totally vegan, a large bowl of
beans, another of rice would give her the balanced protein she needs. Also,
even if you weren't planning to serve that at feast for the rest of the
people, both are pretty easy to make a small batch of.

Kinda hard to figure out recipes for her, if we don't know _exactly_ what
she does and doesn't eat.

Phlip

cat.

Never a horse that cain't be rode,