[Sca-cooks] non-sweet Elizabethan dishes

El Hermoso Dormido ElHermosoDormido at dogphilosophy.net
Mon Nov 11 16:45:15 PST 2002

On Monday 11 November 2002 04:20 pm, Siegfried Heydrich wrote:
> Only those who bask in the comfort of such decadence as
> we possess have the freedom to have to not turn over fallen logs, looking
> for high protein grubs, or prostitute themselves to UN relief delivery
> drivers in order to get enough corn meal to keep their children alive for
> another day or two.

Well, I wouldn't have put it quite so harshly, but I agree, actually.
Voluntary dietary restrictions (a.k.a. being a "picky eater") like
vegetarianism, veganism, Kosher, etc. are definitely a luxury.

Then again, so's my car, but I'm not giving it up. :-)

'course, my OWN beef (insert rim-shot sound here) with vegetarianism and
veganism and so on is more philosophical.  As a dedicated philosophical
glutton with a mouthful of varied teeth, I tend to think it's a crime
against nature to avoid eating things for philosophical reasons...though
I still admit I'd have a tough time convincing myself to eat bugs. :-)

(Your point that most starvation in the world has political causes is
right on the mark, though...Mister Mugabe's behavior is a prime
demonstration...)

Signed,
El Hermoso Dormido, whose second-most-favorite sin is gluttony, and who
thinks Boogoboogistan could start a successful tourist industry on the name
alone :-)