[Sca-cooks] non-sweet Elizabethan dishes

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Mon Nov 11 21:30:08 PST 2002

Katherine asked:
> I am planning (well, dreaming about) an Elizabethan feast, and I ran the
> menu past a vegetarian friend for comment.  She asked me whether all the
> vegetarian dishes are sweet, because the vegetarians might feel like it
> wasn't a full meal if all the dishes were sweet.

> So, my question is... does anyone have any recommendations for non-sweet
> Elizabethan dishes, especially vegie ones?

Well, I assume when you say "Elizabethan" you mean English. If so, what

is the appropriate name for that time period when you are talking about
other countries? Anyway, sugar still being somewhat expensive, yet a
new item, seems to show up in a lot of the upper class formal dishes
of that time period, especially in England. But in quantity, I suspect
our civilization consumes more sugar. We just don't put it in the same
places.

Anyway, I looked through this file in the FEASTS section, and there
are a number of vegetable dishes in this file which do not contain
sugar.

Elizabet-Fst-art  (30K)  5/ 8/01    An Elizabethian feast menu and references.

http://www.florilegium.org/files/FEASTS/Elizabet-Fst-art.html
    Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas         StefanliRous at austin.rr.com