[Sca-cooks] vegetarian

Kirrily Robert skud at infotrope.net
Tue Nov 12 06:56:02 PST 2002

Serena wrote:

> I do not know about the area in which you live, but for my area this is
> patently untrue. I have a much easier time finding beef chuck for .79/lb and
> pork butt for .89/lb than I do good quality veggies. Now, if you want
> carrots, I can buy carrots all day long for cheap prices, but when you get
> into the good veggies they are vey expensive. And if I was trying to cater
> to vegitarians I would want to give them good, fresh, out of the ordinary
> veggies - not canned green beans.
>
> I have found, when doing pricing that the most expensive thing I put into a
> feast is usually the cheese, then specialty veggies, then the meat (unless I
> am serving salmon).

Hrm, I haven't done feasts (I'm planning my first one, a small one) but
I do shop for food pretty regularly around here.

I don't think I could get meat as cheaply as you do, and I think I can
get vegetables cheaper.  There's not much meat that drops below $2/lb
here, but I can get quite a range of vegetables that cheaply, and *not*
just carrots.  Then when you get into the veg proteins and starches, like
beans and grains and stuff, things can get *really* cheap.

>>There are dozens, if not hundreds, of period vegetarian recipes.  I have
> about 10 right here, all Elizabethan >from the 3 or 4 cookbooks I have
> readily to hand.  I have a webpage listing a bunch more from other
>>sources.
>
> I would love to see this (alot because I am teaching a class tomorrow
> night), could you possibly post the URL?

http://infotrope.net/sca/cooking/veg/

(a work in progress... I really need to clean up the table at the bottom
and add some more stuff.)

Yours,

Katherine

katherine at infotrope.net  http://infotrope.net/sca/