Tofu was Re: [Sca-cooks] vegetarian

Gorgeous Muiredach muiredach at bmee.net
Tue Nov 12 07:05:12 PST 2002

> > Hmmm. Possibly there is tofu that tastes similar to meat. But I've yet to
> > see or taste any that resembled meat in texture. Unless jello is a meat.
> > But I haven't tried any of the meat substitutes (TVP?).
>
>Perhaps you should.  It's not quite the same as meat, but it's not a bad
>approximation for ground whatever.  Some of the not-meats (not-bacon,
>etc) are also not quite like meat, but they're a *lot* closer to it than
>they are to jello.

Again, do we want to immitate meat or create something all its own?

That said, I've seen so many people complain about tofu, because it doesn't
resemble meat!  And that's what happens when we try to make a pale
immitation.  Most chinese folks I know don't look at tofu as a meat
substitute or alternative, just as another ingredient.

It should be noted that there are two types of tofu:  soft, and hard.

It should also be noted that in the majority of cases the tofu you can get
at most grocery stores is stale, old, soured.

Soft tofu could be confused for jello, I guess.  Hard tofu, no way!

Ther'es lots to tofu, it is such a versatile ingredient, it is
fantastic.  BUT, it is NOT a meat substitute.  Merely an alternative.

Gorgeous Muiredach the Odd
Clan of Odds
Shire of Forth Castle, Meridies
mka