[Sca-cooks] vegetarian

Siegfried Heydrich baronsig at peganet.com
Tue Nov 12 08:43:03 PST 2002

    Well, given that the Dems did an utterly miserable job at mobilizing
their voter base and got creamed as a result, I'd think that the value of
the voter is quite obvious. If you believe in something, you need to speak
up. If everyone takes the view that 'my voice doesn't count', you surrender
to the ones who disagree, and can get their people to the polls. Fanatics
are really good at mobilizing their people to vote . . . if your apathy
allows them into power, don't look surprised when you find life getting
difficult.
    People not voting is not a root cause, it's a symptom of diminished
faith in the system. Voting does make a difference in the end. But the end
is always in the future, and if you abdicate your responsibility in speaking
to the future, the future may not be what you think.
    If "Certainly it has not affected who is in power, or the policy
allegedly enacted in my name.", ask yourself how many others who had
differing opinions regarding those in power, or those policies, took the
same view? If they had spoken up, rather than moping about going "aww, it
doesn't matter . . .", perhaps those in power would not be, or those
policies would be in the process of change as we speak.
    Voting makes you heard. Even if you're a voice alone in the wilderness,
it's heard. And that beats muttering alone in your beer any day.

    Sieggy