[Sca-cooks] buying meat was vegetarian

Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Tue Nov 12 09:22:56 PST 2002

Ene bichizh ogsen baina shuu...

>     If the market is a true reflector of cost / value, why is meat (an
> extremely labor intensive food) less expensive than something that comes
out
> of the ground, gets picked, put in a box, then sold?

That's something a lot of farmers are trying to figure out, too, Sieggy. I
know quite a few small (under 100 head) producers who just aren't buying or
raising livestock because the prices are so low. And it's pretty much across
the board- cattle, pork, and mutton are all suffering from low prices at the
moment.

Only thing most can think of, is that there's some kind of price fixing
going on, in order to continue to drive small farmers out of business. If
you can, stock up now while the prices are low, because I'm betting there'll
be a swing the other way in a few monthes.

OTOH, have y'all noticed the ridiculous prices they're getting for Black
Angus beef? Dunno who came up with THAT marketting hustle, but I can
guarantee you that there are quite a few breeds of cattle out there which
are better than Angus, starting with Murrey Greys (an interesting Angus
sport) and going into Charolais, among others. Even properly raised milk
breeds can be quite tasty- Jerseys produce exceptional meat.

Phlip

cat.

Never a horse that cain't be rode,