[Sca-cooks] Period vegetarianism

jenne at fiedlerfamily.net jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Tue Nov 12 09:30:56 PST 2002

> Thigs for feasts that are considered good [and if you are fasting, stay in
> your monastary and pray.]:

Considering how often EVERYONE had to fast, plus all the directions for
alternative fasting foods that come up in menus, I think this may be a
misrepresentation.

The trouble with fasting is that we are looking at almonds a lot, plus
fish, which many vegetarians won't eat, and which the carnivores not only
turn up their noses about but also whine about.

Now, I think that we may be misrepresenting a number of veggie dishes at
feasts because they are being cooked with non-meat broth, but considering
that in my kingdom serving fish is very, very unusual, I'm less concerned
about omitting meat broth than omitting fish in giving a clear picture of
medieval cuisine.

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa   jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"I used to be one of them. Now I rather think I'm one of me." -- Terry
Prachett, _Thief of Time_