[Sca-cooks] Re: Cost of feast

Gorgeous Muiredach muiredach at bmee.net
Tue Nov 12 13:25:18 PST 2002

Serena,

Having worked 14 years in professional kitchens, I am well aware of the
"accessory" costs tied into a meal.  An actual food cost of 25% to 30% is
what is usualy considered the norm to make money.  The finer the meal, the
higher the foodcost for a restaurant.  I've worked in places where food
cost was about 50%.

I don't believe your theory holds much water.  It does, a bit, but I still
think that we tend to expect a heck of a lot for darn little.

You're right, at feast you have no "choice" of item on the menu...  No,
instead you get 3, 4 sometimes 5 courses with anywhere from 3 to 5 dishes
in each course...  20, 25 different dishes!  Right, you don't have a choice
of what to order, but you do get a choice of what you'll eat!

Don't get me wrong, I'm not pushing for higher cost of feast
necessarily.  I am *well* aware that a majority of SCAdian have limited
funds to attend feast, etc.

I just think that an "attitude readjustment" would be nice.

Gorgeous Muiredach the Odd
Clan of Odds
Shire of Forth Castle, Meridies
mka