[Sca-cooks] Re: Cost of feast

jenne at fiedlerfamily.net jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Tue Nov 12 13:50:10 PST 2002

> Don't get me wrong, I'm not pushing for higher cost of feast
> necessarily.  I am *well* aware that a majority of SCAdian have limited
> funds to attend feast, etc.
>
> I just think that an "attitude readjustment" would be nice.

I don't mind paying more for certain things in a feast. I do mind when
there is a profit factor built into the feast cost. I think the feast
should pay for itself, more or less, and not subsidize other parts of the
event or be subsidized by other parts of the event.

If I see a higher cost for an event feast, I know that the odds are that
something big is planned, or, in some cases, the feast budget is being
finagled by the autocrat. A look at the menu will tell which. If I think
the group is likely to be able to pull off the magnificence, I don't have
a problem with paying more.

I realize that it is an irrational prejudice to not mind a group making a
profit on my _being_ at the event, but mind that they profit on my feast.
But I'm used to events where the group can usually guarantee that the
feast will be filled, but the number of attendees varies.

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa   jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"I used to be one of them. Now I rather think I'm one of me." -- Terry
Prachett, _Thief of Time_