[Sca-cooks] Vegetarian politics aside.....

Martin G. Diehl mdiehl at nac.net
Tue Nov 12 14:48:17 PST 2002

moxy wrote:

> Hello, all --
> I've just joined the list ... and I do mean *just*,

Welcome.

> to the point that I don't know what started the
> discussion on vegetarianism,

I'm not sure that we do either.  <g>

> nor how it applies to creative anachronism

Service and courtesy.

We (generally) respect the wishes and/or personal
choices that other people have made.

If a person has decided to make a choice about what
he will eat (due to allergy, medical condition,
religious, abstain from eating ___________, or even
simply dislike ____________ ...), *and* makes this
decision known to the head cook well in advance, we
will try to make an accommodation.

OTOH, as the time span between the communication to the
head cook and the serving of the feast ... uuuhhhmmmm ...
_shortens_ (I think "_shortens_" covers all
possibilities, doesn't it?  <g> ) -- well, ... our
ability to fulfill the request is abridged -- in extreme
cases, our ability to be courteous may also suffer.  Of
course, we will still try to honor the request -- but
the choices will be more and more limited.

> ... but I thought some of those thinking about the
> emotion behind vegetarianism and meatarianism and
> everything between might find this interesting:
> http://www.nytimes.com/2002/11/10/magazine/10ANIMAL.html
> (you have to register but it's free and I've yet to
> receive related spam)
>
> "An Animal's Place" By MICHAEL POLLAN
>
> The first time I opened Peter Singer's ''Animal
> Liberation,'' I was dining alone at the Palm, trying
> to enjoy a rib-eye steak cooked medium-rare. If this
> sounds like a good recipe for cognitive dissonance
> (if not indigestion),

Thanks for pointing out that it had a recipe.  <g>

[snip]

> *********
> Now, back to historic food ... what was "crumbly,"
> back in 18th-century Britain?
> Mox

Vincenzo

--