[Sca-cooks] Vegetarian politics aside.....

moxy moxy at siempremail.com
Tue Nov 12 11:19:45 PST 2002

Hello, all --
I've just joined the list ... and I do mean *just*, to the point that I
don't know what started the discussion on vegetarianism, nor how it applies
to creative anachronism ... but I thought some of those thinking about the
emotion behind vegetarianism and meatarianism and everything between might
find this interesting:
http://www.nytimes.com/2002/11/10/magazine/10ANIMAL.html
(you have to register but it's free and I've yet to receive related spam)

"An Animal's Place
By MICHAEL POLLAN
The first time I opened Peter Singer's ''Animal Liberation,'' I was dining
alone at the Palm, trying to enjoy a rib-eye steak cooked medium-rare. If
this sounds like a good recipe for cognitive dissonance (if not
indigestion), that was sort of the idea. Preposterous as it might seem, to
supporters of animal rights, what I was doing was tantamount to reading
''Uncle Tom's Cabin'' on a plantation in the Deep South in 1852."

The rest of the article looks at various arguments -- most of which either
promote or refute the environmental and social benefits of vegetarianism --
from the many degrees of opinion. Interesting stuff, if you're so inclined.
*********
Now, back to historic food ... what was "crumbly," back in 18th-century
Britain?
Mox