[Sca-cooks] Re: Cost of feast

Barbara Benson vox8 at mindspring.com
Tue Nov 12 15:16:43 PST 2002

> >  I have been to any number of feasts that (in this false analogy) would
have easily cost over $100 at a restaurant that served food of that quality.
So being charged $8 for a feast that I would not have paid $8 for at the
local diner - well some people may feel ripped off.

> I honestly don't follow this. After what looks like an assertion that  a
good SCA feast is a bargain, if a comparable meal in a restaurant would
easily be priced $100 (or did you actually mean cost?), you're concerned
about an $8 feast being overpriced? Is it simply the question of when you're
on the food-budget level where your $8 represents a serious food investment,
you can't afford not to be fed your money's worth?

Sorry, shouldn't be thinking on my feet. The reason you did not follow my
train of thought was because it was not stated well.

Coming from my point of view, in a kingdom where a feast budget of $6.50 is
positively extravagent, I can see where someone who is served a feast with
only a few courses and those courses only having a few items feeling cheated
if they paid $8.00. This was in contrast to the aforementioned excellent
feasts that cost only $6.00 but would have cost $$ in a restaraunt.

I in no way am arguing against reasonable feast budgets, I just think that
as feast goers we also have a right to get a decent meal for our dollar. A
good SCA feast is indeed a bargin at any price be it $4, $6, or $8. But a
bad SCA feast is worth very little. And getting a bad feast for a premium
price is horrid.

I would like to state, for the record, that I cannot remember where this
thread started and my comments should in no way be construed as a critique
of a specific feast. I am functioning on a hypothetical "bad" feast that
cost $8. I did not attend said feast, and frankly I have a hard time
believing that said hypothetical feast could exist in the SCA.

And with this I am shutting up my shutting upper.

Glad Tidings,
Serena