[Sca-cooks] Period vegetarianism, 'Lainie looses her cool

Kirsten Houseknecht kirsten at fabricdragon.com
Tue Nov 12 20:02:11 PST 2002

not being vegetarian. i can't say for certain.... but in my opinion i think
it is like the glasses issue.

i wear glasses.  they are NOT period. but i cant see without my glasses.
if i dont wear my glasses i CANNOT enjoy (or really even see) any SCA event.
therefore, accomidations have been made that no one mentions my glasses (or
anyone elses) so even though they are NOT in period... a lot of people wear
glasses.

how is this relavent????
in period my persona may not have been a vegetarian.  but if, for whatever
reason, *I* am a vegetaria what then???.... so i should violate my ethics...
morals... and maybe my allergies.. to eat meat? i dont think so.

this doesnt mean an entire feast has to change to suit me... but it does
mean it is UTTERLY unreasonable to expect me to "eat in character" if doing
so violates my integrity....just as it is utterly unreasonable to have me
give up my glasses because my persona would not have had them.

a feast must cater to the majority.. this doesnt mean you cannot also
accomidate the minority.

sort of like any other part of life.

Kirsten
kirsten at fabricdragon.com
http://www.fabricdragon.com

"Did you vote?  No?   Then don't come whining to me...."