Tofu was Re: [Sca-cooks] vegetarian

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Tue Nov 12 20:11:27 PST 2002

Gorgeous Muiredach the Odd said:
> It should be noted that there are two types of tofu:  soft, and hard.

Oh!

> Soft tofu could be confused for jello, I guess.  Hard tofu, no way!

I guess I've only had the soft tofu. Which was the reason for my
comment about jello.
Hmmm. "Jello" is based on aspic and similar jelly dishes. I assume
aspic dishes would be unwelcome to all (some?) of the vegetarians
as well. Could this tofu be made more liquid to resemble aspic? Or
perhaps if you made the tofu, make it intentionally thinner? Or is
there another, better substitute?

> Ther'es lots to tofu, it is such a versatile ingredient, it is
> fantastic.  BUT, it is NOT a meat substitute.  Merely an alternative.

Not only is the tofu which I have had soft, but it is also has a very
uniform, very artifical texture. Does the hard tofu suffer from
this as well? Many meat eaters, myself included, find the very
finely ground meats, such as many bolognas to be unappetizing because
of this texture differance. Sort of like the "Wonderbread" of the
meat world. Or does the textured vegetable product stuff solve
this problem?
    Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas         StefanliRous at austin.rr.com