Tofu was Re: [Sca-cooks] vegetarian

Gorgeous Muiredach muiredach at bmee.net
Tue Nov 12 20:23:21 PST 2002

>Hmmm. "Jello" is based on aspic and similar jelly dishes. I assume
>aspic dishes would be unwelcome to all (some?) of the vegetarians
>as well. Could this tofu be made more liquid to resemble aspic? Or
>perhaps if you made the tofu, make it intentionally thinner? Or is
>there another, better substitute?

I'd not use tofu as an aspic base.  I'd find a non-based gelatin, if I
really wanted to go that way.  I haven't played much with it, but I'm
pulling thoughts off the top of my head, I'd probably toy with agar-agar
gelatins, or perhaps synthetic ones, rather than beef based.

>Not only is the tofu which I have had soft, but it is also has a very
>uniform, very artifical texture. Does the hard tofu suffer from
>this as well? Many meat eaters, myself included, find the very
>finely ground meats, such as many bolognas to be unappetizing because
>of this texture differance. Sort of like the "Wonderbread" of the
>meat world. Or does the textured vegetable product stuff solve
>this problem?

Tofu is "artificial", just as cheese is.  Not I'm not saying that tofu is
cheese, as is too often said, but the fact remains, they are similar in
some ways.  I'd compare the texture of hard tofu to aged cheddar.

Perhaps the problem you encounter is that you are looking at it as a meat
alternative.  If you eat it not expecting it to be like meat, then you
can't have the "meat texture expectation" and be disapointed because of
it.  Just my 2 cents :-)