[Sca-cooks] Re: Cost of feast

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Tue Nov 12 22:20:23 PST 2002

Gorgeous Muiredach the Odd commented:
> You're right, at feast you have no "choice" of item on the menu...  No,
> instead you get 3, 4 sometimes 5 courses with anywhere from 3 to 5 dishes
> in each course...  20, 25 different dishes!  Right, you don't have a choice
> of what to order, but you do get a choice of what you'll eat!

Well, that has not been common around here. For outside, camping feasts,
principly because of lack of kitchen facilities  a single or double
course meal is more common. Even the events centered around a feast
such as Candlemas are often only three courses long. I don't consider
the bread and butter thing a "course".

But I only have to think back to the Kingdom Dance Sympsoium held in
a hotel that wanted $8 for a bunch of cold cuts, to know that a well
cooked SCA feast is often well worth the money, even if there are
often dishes I won't eat.

> Don't get me wrong, I'm not pushing for higher cost of feast
> necessarily.  I am *well* aware that a majority of SCAdian have limited
> funds to attend feast, etc.
For those who are interested in what can be done at an SCA feast if

there is more money available, there was the EK 12th Night feast that
Adamantius did earlier this year, which included lobster. I only wish
the rice had cooked properly in that dish. :-(

Or this one done in Lochac:

Good-Fd-Feast-art (26K)  3/30/98    Description of a fancy feast done in Lochac.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FEASTS/Good-Fd-Feast-art.html
    Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas         StefanliRous at austin.rr.com