[Sca-cooks] Re: Olives in pie crusts

Louise Smithson helewyse at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 13 05:34:20 PST 2002

> Also sprach Kerri Martinsen:
>> Does anyone know of any reference to adding crushed
olives to pie
>> crusts?  Seems plausable, but haven't come across
it yet.

>> Hrosvitha von Celle
>
> As a shortening? Or, by any chance, have you seen a
reference to
> olives in pastry which are actually a throwback to
medieval
> pseudo-aloyaux, or subtlety of meat rolls made to
look like little
> birds (aloyaux are larks, I think) in a pie?

Not really - more like "olive bread".  Maybe something
in an italian
cookbook around the pasta sections?  I might be
Pulling at straws
here---

Vitha

I am now up to four Italian texts:
Scappi, libro di cucina, Romoli Domenico and Epulario
(english edition).  I have not seen anything like what
you are discussing YET.  I say yet as I have not read
every single one of those recipes (Scappi has over 100
pastry recipes).  But something so unusual would have
stood out if I had run accross it while looking for
something else.  I can have a look but right now am
working on another little project so it will have to
wait at least a week.  But from what I have read it
doesn't not ring any bells.
Helewyse