[Sca-cooks] pomegranate question

Sandra Kisner sjk3 at admin.is.cornell.edu
Wed Nov 13 06:09:57 PST 2002

>I called her tonight. She reports she just puts them in a freezer bag,
>squeezes out the excess air without squeezing the seeds, and tosses them
>into the freezer. She made her chicken dish in August, using last October's
>seeds, and noticed only a very slight softening of the seeds after all that
>time. She thaws them slowly in the refrigerator. Hope that helps.
>
>Morgana

     Thank her for me!  I checked various editions of Joy of Cooking last night; it was interesting to see the differences.  I didn't find anything in the 1943 edition.  The 1953 and 1975 editions said to pack them in light or medium syrup.  The 1997 edition said "pomegranites freeze well."  Real helpful.  ;-)   I didn't see anything useful in Putting Things By.  So bags it is, no syrup.

Sandra