[Sca-cooks] Re: Sca-cooks digest/sect-OT

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Wed Nov 13 12:45:33 PST 2002

At 11:19 AM 11/13/02 -0500, you wrote:

>     Yes, but these denominations (groups that conform to the major
>doctrines of each religion named) view sects as heretical.  An example
>would be the followers of David Koresh in Waco, Texas, a number of years
>ago.  If that group of folks themselves did not claim to be Christian,
>they certainly co-opted major figures in Christianity, but I doubt a
>Lutheran, Methodist, Catholic or Presbyterian would consider Koresh's
>sect a Christian denomination.

Just as an FYI, Koresh started out as Seventh-Day Adventist. And then
something went 'boink' from there. They were (at least at the time they had
their fracas with the ATF) not considered to be part of that denom, and the
SDA community pretty thoroughly disavowed any connection from what he'd
become. There are some disturbing parallels, if you think about it, between
them and al Queda/ mainline Islam. I'm sure bin Laden considers himself to
be one of the only 'pure' Muslims, as Koresh thought of himself as leading
the last remnant of the faithful. A sense of persecution and mania is by no
means confined by differences in doctrine...

'Lainie