[Sca-cooks] menus, seat allocation

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Wed Nov 13 13:38:42 PST 2002

At 01:10 AM 11/12/02 -0600, you wrote:
>Isobel fitz Gilbert commented:
>> In our Barony, each person at the banquet gets a menue with ingredients.
>> It also has their name on it and is used to identify their seat (seatting
>> at the Baronial Banquet is arranged, not a free-for-all).  It's been that
>> way for years.

For Yule Feast this year in Three Mountains, we will be seating by
precedence. Should be interesting. It is all pre-reg, and we will be making
the seating charts ahead. Then before we serve, we will escort small groups
in, so they know where they'll be sitting, and so they can put out their
dishes. When we are ready to seat, the high table folk will be escorted in,
go to their seats, and have their hands washed before they sit down. The
rest of the diners will have their hands washed at the door, then go
forward, reverence the high table, and proceed to their seats. Very formal,
and I think it will be very cool. (oddly, I'm working from period texts to
this end ;-) I will be Robert de Montgris (cousin 'Bob') for the evening,
and conflating the roles of the Marshal of the Hall, and the Butler. I have
to taste Their Excellencies' food. ;-D) And somehow get the various bread
bits, etc, to the table in the manner described. Should be fun ;-)

It could be interesting to do this on a more regular basis, at least for
the Yule Feast (since 12th Night rotates, and I can only vaguely remember
when they last had a seated feast for 12th Night here in An Tir. Been
probably 10 years. Oddly, a site big enough for teh event seldom has
kitchens we can use. We've gone pretty much to con-style 12th Nights.
Though this year we're back at the DoubleTree in Adiantum, and ther
restaurant there has agreed to provide the medieval menu for us like they
did last time, using our recipes and all. :-D)

'Lainie