[Sca-cooks] Period vegetarianism, 'Lainie looses her cool

jenne at fiedlerfamily.net jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Wed Nov 13 14:16:34 PST 2002

> 'Fast' diet is very different for cloistered religious than for the upper
> nobility. And like sexual activity, not all of the proscriptions were
> observed (otherwise the population would not have been anywhere near what
> it was ;-).

Yes, but I'm not speaking of the fasts required of the clergy, which are
far more extensive than those required of the laity, and include far more
than Ember Days, Lent and Wednesday and Friday. You, however, seem to be
assuming that even Lent, Ember Days and Wednesday and Friday were hardly
observed by the laity, which I don't think is true. In some cultures,
there are additional fast days, and 'fast' may mean a variety of things,
but I don't think you can disregard that 'fasting' menus were a big part
of everyday life-- just look at the extant menus to see the examples!

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa   jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"I used to be one of them. Now I rather think I'm one of me." -- Terry
Prachett, _Thief of Time_