[Sca-cooks] Period vegetarianism, 'Lainie looses her cool

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Wed Nov 13 15:17:53 PST 2002

At 05:16 PM 11/13/02 -0500, you wrote:
>> 'Fast' diet is very different for cloistered religious than for the upper
>> nobility. And like sexual activity, not all of the proscriptions were
>> observed (otherwise the population would not have been anywhere near what
>> it was ;-).
>
>Yes, but I'm not speaking of the fasts required of the clergy, which are
>far more extensive than those required of the laity, and include far more
>than Ember Days, Lent and Wednesday and Friday. You, however, seem to be
>assuming that even Lent, Ember Days and Wednesday and Friday were hardly
>observed by the laity, which I don't think is true. In some cultures,
>there are additional fast days, and 'fast' may mean a variety of things,
>but I don't think you can disregard that 'fasting' menus were a big part
>of everyday life-- just look at the extant menus to see the examples!

No, that is not what I said. Lent and Friday are generally carefully
observed. And usually Ember days. Wednesdays seem to depend on where and
when you are talking about, and is some ares seemed to have been honored as
much in the breach...

However, fasting menus for Friday and Wednesday are irrelevant. And
religious fasting practice has absolutely nothing to do with modern
vegetariansism. Which was, again, my point. How fasting was or wasn't
observed has nothing to do with how we handle vegetarians or vegans who
come to feasts. I am not disregarding fasting menus, I'm saying that they
have nothing to do with what we are doing.

Vegetarinaism is a mundane lifestyle choice- not an observance and practice
of the most common religious group of the middle ages. There is no link
between them, no resemblance. It is not their religious observance- so why
do we present a religious solution? If someone does not care for a cream
sauce with their meat, do we automatically present them with a kosher meal?

That may end up being a solution, but should not be the reason.

'Lainie