[Sca-cooks] crown tourney menu

maredudd at caerthe.org maredudd at caerthe.org
Fri Nov 15 08:23:26 PST 2002

Quoting Nick Sasso <NJSasso at msplaw.com>:

<snip>

> If the meal was indeed as described by the one person's point of view,
> I personally would be unhappy to the point of making polite and
> respectful conversation with the Feast Cook and Autocrat about my
> concerns.

<snip>

Add my apologies to Niccolo's.

I would also have opted out of this meal, but for an additional reason - as far
as I can tell, it's not a period menu. This would have been the deal-breaker
for me.

Paying a little extra for the purpose of supporting the shire wouldn't have
bothered me so much, but for someone who is dedicated to the notion that we
should be serving period (at the very least plausably period) foods at SCA
feasts [1], this menu really bugs me. While I love squash and apple pie and ice
cream, I can get those any other day of the week. If our purpose is to re-
create the environment of our period of study (to paraphrase the SCA governing
documents), then why do we - as a group - persist in serving modern foods at
SCA feasts and calling it a "good feast"?

I'd rather leave the site - and the event - and get a modern meal for dinner
than eat a non-period "feast" at an event.

Eirene

[1] I don't even really mind modern foods at an event as long as the event
organizers are honest about what they're serving. If you're having a BBQ after
an event, call it a "BBQ", not a "feast".