[Sca-cooks] Anybody made Welserins Spanish Pastries?

Bonne de Traquair oftraquair at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 15 14:20:09 PST 2002

--- El Hermoso Dormido
<ElHermosoDormido at dogphilosophy.net> wrote:
> Reading this, I was similarly picturing something
> like a pecan roll, or
> perhaps "Ho-ho's".  That would give you something
> like short "sausages"
> of pastry filled with nuts 'n' sugar 'n' butter.
> When you cook it, the
> butter could very well run out the ends, so "closing
> up" the ends keeps the
> filling in as it cooks.  Plus, you get the
> appearance on the outside of
> a sort of "bread stick" which has hidden filling,
> which I gather is a
> rather "medieval" thing to do...
>
> So, in other words, roll out a big rectangle of
> dough, cover it with filling,
> roll it up into a long "log", cut into
> "finger-food-size" lengths, close
> the ends, and cook.
>
> Of course, the comment about turning the underside
> to the top confuses me a
> bit...

Just from what I've seen here, I vote for sausages,
not slices, ends sealed and placed seam side up.  if
it doesn't say to seal the seam, then, depending on
the thinness of your dough, it might puff and curl in
a pretty manner around the seam.   Or it might just
let the butte and sugar leak out.  Given the name,
there might be something of use the in the spanish
manuscript that Vincenzo and Brigid(?) both
translated.

> Signed,
> El Hermoso Dormido, now reminded just how good
> German medieval cooking
> sounds...

Bonne, guessing