[Sca-cooks] Vegetarian politics aside.....

Bronwynmgn at aol.com Bronwynmgn at aol.com
Fri Nov 15 17:29:26 PST 2002

In a message dated 11/12/2002 12:35:06 PM Eastern Standard Time,
kirsten at fabricdragon.com writes:

> at no meal will i have every dish contaminated by any one ingredient...
> unless the feast is EXPRESSLY revolving around that ingredient (like.
> garlic. or something)

My personal theory, and general practice, is that no more than 1/3 of the
dishes will contain the same ingredient.  And in most cases I aim for one
meat dish per course, and everything else is done vegetarian (not vegan - it
may contain cheese, eggs, or honey, but it will not include meat broth, lard,
etc).  I post ingredients lists at the gate and on the door of the kitchen.
I personally choose not to use modern meat substitutes, or meat substitutes
that were not used in the cuisine I'm cooking from.  I'm trying my best to
recreate a period meal.  That may mean some people can't or won't eat it;
that is their choice, just as it is my choice to avoid blatantly non-period
feasts, or to not eat at the Thai or Indian restaurant since I don't like
those cuisines.  I do not believe that we are required to cater for every
single combination of allergy or food choice possible, any more than any one
restaurant is require dto do so.

Brangwayna Morgan