[Sca-cooks] olla podrida

Phil Troy/ G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Sat Nov 16 04:59:12 PST 2002

Also sprach Stefan li Rous:
>Brighid ni Chiarain commented:
>>>I think the feast looks absolutely lovely, exceptionally so.
>>
>>But you know what they say, "The proof of the olla podrida is in the
>>eating."
>
>So, perhaps I missed this on your menu, but are you actually doing
>an ola podrida?
>If not, have you or anyone else here, made one of these using a period
>recipe? They look exceedingly time consuming but you might not need
>to prepare any other dish to go with one.
>For those who don't know about these or missed our earlier discussions,
>these seem to be single pot dishes that include a huge variety of items. For
>more details:
>
>hollopotrida-msg  (29K)  4/29/02    Period holopotrida recipes. Stews with a
>                                       very wide variety of ingredients.
>http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/hollapotrida-msg.html

Master Robin Argyle and I (and others) made one more or less based on
Gervase Markham's allegedly Spanish-based English recipe, for the
John Barleycorn event last year. (This was a good choice; the event
included the wedding of two locals, one of Spanish and one of
English, persona.) As I recall, it included whole chickens, braised
beef ribs, veal sausages, blood sausages with onions and rice (okay,
commercial morcilla from a Latino butcher), pork and lamb chunks, and
various root/bulb vegetables, with a puree of green herbs added to
the broth at the last minute.

I think we served each table large platters of the big-hunks-o-meats,
with sauces on the side, with the smaller chunks of meat and the
vegetables in bowls with the slightly thickened broth.

Adamantius

deserves to be called a scholar."
	-DONALD FOSTER