[Sca-cooks] Embroidered table linens again

Rosine rosine at sybercom.net
Sun Nov 17 16:50:22 PST 2002

> I'm pretty sure that was embroidery, done over
> a woven brocade pattern.  It would have been
> very difficult to do that design any other way, IMHO.
> There are others on this list who also weave,
> embroider, and spin; what are your thoughts?
Regards,
Brekke

I've lost the original message with the link (there was a link?) to the
painting. Could some re-post it? After hanging around with a weaver (handy,
that, for those of us who embroider), I can probably get a more definitive
answer... assuming the restrictions of looking at painting and guessing the
fiber-work.

Rosine
(For what it's worth - weaving is the most-likely answer. I remember the
research that Mistress Alianora was doing before she published her CA, and
embroidery was not very common for that purpose. But still, that's one area,
one time slot. Not seeing the picture, I don't know if it's in the same
place/time.)