[Sca-cooks] Embroidered table linens again

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Sun Nov 17 20:39:10 PST 2002

The original message snipped is below--
Subject:         Embroidered table linens again
   Date:
        Sat, 09 Nov 2002 22:47:27 -0500

Last spring Huette von Ahrens on
Mon, 15 Apr 2002 posed the question regarding embroidery on table linens

Today I found two more both by the same artist and since these were very
striking, I thought I would post this find to the list--

The works are The Last Supper by Domenico Ghirlandaio, 1480 (Florence)
and 1486 (San Marco).
They are on the web in a variety of places
but the best is probably the Web Gallery of Art--
http://gallery.euroweb.hu/html/g/ghirland/domenico/4lastsup/2ogniss.html
Or one can browse the works by searching on Author: ghirlandaio which
turns up 140 pictures found, Items 61-70 show the last suppers.
The 1486 (San Marco) is at:
http://gallery.euroweb.hu/html/g/ghirland/domenico/4lastsup/3smarco.html
This one features even more ornate bands.
The gallery offers details of both.

Johnnae llyn Lewis   Johnna Holloway

---------
On Tuesday Nov 12th I posted the following in response of one query
regarding if it could be as in the CA article--

I rather thought these looked like what is now called Assisi work
myself. I looked the article on the web by the author of the CA article
(http://hometown.aol.com/noramunro/Perugia/index.htm)
and still think that the linens in the two artworks cited look different
than what she presents on the webpage.
Johnnae llyn Lewis  Johnna Holloway
This was the last of the posts until today-- Johnna