[Sca-cooks] Anybody made Welserins Spanish Pastries?

Robyn.Hodgkin at affa.gov.au Robyn.Hodgkin at affa.gov.au
Sun Nov 17 21:17:53 PST 2002

Hmmm; my first thoughts certainly lean towards rolling out the pastry into a long rectangle and then rolling up from the wide edge to make a gigantically long scroll which I would then chop into sausage lengths.

As for mixture of ingredients...

You could do a sort of challah like dough which contains yeast, although rising agents are not actually mentioned.  If so then the proportions below  would work.

However it just struck me that the ingredients listed could end you up with something more like a pasta dough, the final product almost a Cannoli... mind you all the cannoli recipes I can find have marsala or some other wine in the pastry, but I am sure you get the picture.

Hope these are of some help.

Kiriel
----------------
CHALLAH DOUGH
13-14 Cups Flour
16 Teaspoons Dry Yeast
2 Eggs, beaten
1 Cup Oil
2 Tablespoons Salt
1 Cup  Sugar
4 Cups  Warm Water

Or here is another recipe in a smaller quantity:

2 pkg. yeast
1 tsp. sugar
1/4 cup warm water
6 cups flour
1 Tbs. salt
2 cups of warm water
3 eggs slightly beaten
1/4 cup oil
3 Tbs. sugar

Combine first 3 ingredients. Combine flour & salt. Make a well in the flour, and add the yeast mixture. Add rest of ingredients. Beat well until ball forms. Knead on floured board, adding flour as necessary. Place in greased bowl, cover, and let rise until doubled. Punch down roll out and shape.
 -------------

CANNOLI DOUGH

    1 3/4  Cups          Flour -- approximately
    1      Tablespoon    Sugar
      1/4  Teaspoon      Salt
    1      Teaspoon      Cinnamon
    3      Tablespoons   Wine Vinegar -- (keeps them crispy)
    1                    Egg
    1      Tablespoon    Butter Or Margarine -- at room temperature

1. Use your electric mixer.  In a mixing bowl measure 1 cup flour, sugar,
 salt and cinnamon.. Attach bowl and dough hook.  Turn to medium-slow
 speed and blend for approximately 45 seconds.  With the mixer running,
 add vinegar, water, egg and butter. Mix to blend for 2 to 3 minutes.  Add
 remaining flour, 1/4 cup at a time, as needed to make a dough that clings
 to the hook.

 2.  Knead for 5 minutes.  If dough clings  to the sides of the bowl,  add
 sprinkles of flour.  Dough will be smooth and elastic.

 3. Wrap the soft dough in foil or plastic and refrigerate to relax and
 chill for at least 1 hour.