[Sca-cooks] Anybody made Welserins Spanish Pastries?

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Fri Nov 15 17:44:21 PST 2002

You need to seal the seams or you will lose the sugar as it melts.  The
butter tends to adhere to the dough, especially if you use melted butter.

There is a recipe in de Nola (1529) for "Panadas of Fine Sugar,"  which uses
the same filling with the possible addition of ginger.  The dough is
approximately the same, but the empanadas are made seperately and fried.
Since empanadas can be bake, broiled or fried, I don't consider the
difference in cooking methods to make the recipes exclusive of each other,
although I don't think Welserin got the recipe from de Nola.  I think she
received it from another Spanish source.

Bear