[Sca-cooks] Re: Wheelchairs, bit of a rant was Re: [ ] sedan chairs

Kerri Martinsen kerrimart at mindspring.com
Mon Nov 18 16:45:09 PST 2002

On 11/18/02 4:53 PM, "Susan Fox-Davis" <selene at earthlink.net> wrote:

> I apologise to Muiredach if I have spoken in any way to cause him or others
> pain.
>
> Gorgeous Muiredach wrote:

snip

> His Grace chooses to do everything in an historical manner, even to his own
> discomfort sometimes.  David wears glasses, but Cariadoc does not, and sees
> the
> world in a soft blur.  He says in one of his essays that Cariadoc has never
> seen
> the stars.   If David or someone like him loses the ability to walk, will he
> bite
> the authenticity bullet and employ a wheelchair?   Or will he feel that he can
> no
> longer attend SCA functions at all if he cannot do so with the authenticity he
> previously enjoyed?

I for one don't even see the world in a soft blur without my glasses or
contacts.  More of a collection of mottled colors unless you get within one
foot of my face.  In period, I would have either worn those new glass things
or just been one of the poor blind beggars on the street.
I choose to wear my contacts to events most of the time, but you better
believe that at Pennsic, it takes me a few hours in the morning before they
go in.
I can't even imagine going to an event without my glasses.

I have a hard enough time recognizing people WITH my glasses on.

Vitha, the mostly blind

--
Lady Hrosvitha von Celle
Per pale sable and gules, a fret and on a point pointed argent a pair of