[Sca-cooks] a feta (or other soft) cheese question

Gorgeous Muiredach muiredach at bmee.net
Tue Nov 19 17:32:54 PST 2002

>>Please tell me if it is safe to use feta cheese that has gotten moldy on the
>>outside.  I know that it is okay to use cheddar and other hard
>>cheeses---just cut off the moldy parts---but feta is softer.  Is it likely
>>that the mold has spread thru all of the cheese?  Should I throw out the
>>whole chunk, just to be on the safe side?  Thanks so much!

I wouldn't eat it.  I have no qualms about eating a lot of the moldy
cheeses, but those that are meant to be moldy!!!

I remember a health inspector explaining to me that just scraping off the
mold off of cheddar and like cheeses wasn't enough, as the "roots" go much
deeper and you can't tell by looking at it with the naked (or spectacled)
eye.  I think he had told me about 1/2" of the surface after visible mold
was removed should be cut out.

Yeah, I know, we've all eaten it without much harm.  It's likely not the
end of the world either, but I'd not *serve* it to someone else.

For feta to go moldy, I really kinda wonder.  It's supposed to live
submerged in salty brine.  I'd not eat it I don't think.

Gorgeous Muiredach the Odd
Clan of Odds
Shire of Forth Castle, Meridies
mka