[Sca-cooks] Freezing cider

Phil Troy/ G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Tue Nov 19 20:18:24 PST 2002

Also sprach CorwynWdwd at aol.com:
>--
>In a message dated 11/19/2002 10:34:31 PM Eastern Standard Time,
>rcmann4 at earthlink.net writes:
>
>>  I understand that apple cider can be frozen.  Can it be frozen in the
>>  plastic jugs?  Or will it expand too much and burst the container?
>
>Often it does.. sometimes it just pops the top of the container. If it's
>sweet cider, I suggest using two jugs to avoid this. This seems to be the
>best course. If it's natural cider, with the solids in it, they're going to
>separate, but this is seldom a big problem. If it's hard cider, and you're
>freeze distilling, and you live in the U.S.... officially I'd say don't do
>it, the Feds frown on it ::innocent look:: but if you WERE (hypothetically)
>to do it I'd say use a bowl so you can chip out the liquid core.... See what
>you started? <G>

I think Brighid is thinking of using it for a sauce for her feast in
January??? Since [I think] it involves reducing the cider, maybe you
could boil it down a bit, until it's mostly done, then put it back in
one or two bottles, and freeze it? Just leave a a little room in the
bottle, and don't cap it until it's frozen.

Adamantius
deserves to be called a scholar."
	-DONALD FOSTER