[Sca-cooks] Freezing cider

Robin Carroll-Mann rcmann4 at earthlink.net
Tue Nov 19 20:39:54 PST 2002

On 19 Nov 2002, at 23:18, Phil Troy/ G. Tacitus Adamant wrote:

> I think Brighid is thinking of using it for a sauce for her feast in
> January???

Yep.  It's one of the sauces for the ham.

> Since [I think] it involves reducing the cider, maybe you
> could boil it down a bit, until it's mostly done, then put it back in
> one or two bottles, and freeze it? Just leave a a little room in the
> bottle, and don't cap it until it's frozen.

I'm not sure that will work.  The sauce is made by combining cider,
sugar, and whole spices (plus a little wine and vinegar), and boiling
it down to half volume.  The spices flavor the sauce, and are then
strained out; the sugar creates a syrup that is the consistency of
honey when it cools.

Barony of Settmour Swamp, East Kingdom
rcmann4 at earthlink.net