[Sca-cooks] Airbed vs. Futon vs. Rope bed

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Tue Nov 19 22:20:54 PST 2002

Mordonna asked:
> Since Estrella is fast approaching, I'd like some comments and feedback on
> the above topic.  For myself, I have a few objections to airbeds.
I had a rope bed for years. Unfortunately, despite various techniques

given on various newsgroups and maillists, I could never get the bed
to stay taut. It always ended up sagging. This is more of a problem
with a double bed and with two you end up smushed together in the
middle of the much larger bed. And it was a pain to assemble as I
had to weave it each time. You can make your rope bed such that you
don't need to do this, but I didn't. It was out of redwood, so at
least it was lighter than pine or oak would have been.

My current bed is a platform bed. With both of these I put down a

piece of indoor/outdoor carpet then a thick air mattress. I used
conventional bed hardware on this second bed. I'm not doing this
again. Maybe because it has six sets of hardware instead of just
four, but it is very, very picky about having all the beds aligned
at 90 degree angles and being on a level surface when being
assembled.

I think a couple of nice big sheepskins or a feather mattress would
be a wonderful thing to have with a platform bed. But the price has
kept me from doing this so far. I also had in mind making this a
curtained bed, I just have not gotten around to doing the support
stuff for the curtains.

For more info on beds, check this file in the Florilegium:
beds-msg         (143K)  1/10/01    Medieval and SCA beds. rope and slat beds.

http://www.florilegium.org/files/HOME/beds-msg.html
    Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas         StefanliRous at austin.rr.com