[Sca-cooks] Airbed vs. Futon vs. Rope bed

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Wed Nov 20 00:24:39 PST 2002

At 12:20 AM 11/20/02 -0600, you wrote:
>Mordonna asked:
>> Since Estrella is fast approaching, I'd like some comments and feedback on
>> the above topic.  For myself, I have a few objections to airbeds.

They squeak. ;-D)

>I had a rope bed for years. Unfortunately, despite various techniques
>given on various newsgroups and maillists, I could never get the bed
>to stay taut. It always ended up sagging.

I've slept in a rope bed a couple of times, and yes, the double (or was it
queen?) sagged int eh middle, reminiscent of Garrison Keillor's ad for the
Deep Valley Togetherness Beds...

>My current bed is a platform bed.
<snip>
>Maybe because it has six sets of hardware instead of just
>four, but it is very, very picky about having all the beds aligned
>at 90 degree angles and being on a level surface when being
>assembled.

I have a platform bed, which my friend Malcolm made for me several years
ago. The support underneath is a series of boards that slot together, adn
tehn flat pieces of wood go on top. It will accomodate the usual inequities
of land, and you can srore things (like wallet/purse) underneath. On top of
this I have what we call teh futon, but it is a couple layers of foam with
a feather tick sandwiched between. Fairly comfy, and you can roll it up
quite a ways. I put a zippered plastic cover over, in case of An Tirian
tragedies (water where you don't want it) and over that is a cover of heavy
upholstery corduroy. I put regular sheets on it- have to, unless I want
corduroy face int eh morning!

>I also had in mind making this a
>curtained bed, I just have not gotten around to doing the support
>stuff for the curtains.

For my poster frame, I have four 4x4 cedar posts (decking posts- I got mine
with the points already on them!), 1x12s around the bottom, and 1x4s around
the top. They are cut so they fit around teh platform, with a couple inches
to spare. I fasten them with hinges- tap the pins out, mount the hinges,
and then either sand the pins so they slide easily, or get pins that fit. I
have pins with a hook ont eh end- easier to pull. The curtains are sewn
with a pocket on the top edge- I slide the curtains one before putting teh
top stretchers on. Works incredibly well, and looks really cool! Also very
nice so you can change clothes, etc, without providing a shadow show for
the neighbors. ;-D)

Some day I will get around to making the canopy cover ( more warmth) but
hte curtains by themselves are really cool...

'Lainie