[Sca-cooks] in need of a recipe

Daniel Myers doc at medievalcookery.com
Wed Nov 20 19:04:10 PST 2002

On Monday, November 18, 2002, at 06:53 PM, RiosRaeCIX at aol.com wrote:

> hello, i am in high school and our teacher has assigned us a medieval
> project. she would like us to make a medieval dish and bring it into
> class,
> and i was wondering if you could let me know if their is any simple
> authentic
> dishes that you could suggest to me that would be fun to make and
> enjoyed by
> my class. i have looked online but all the information is all
> overwhelming
> and a little confusing for me. i would much appreciate your time if
> you could
> give me your suggestion and a recipe.
>
> thank you for your time,
> student in need of medieval recipe
>
>   jess

Hi Jess,

A rather well known and simple recipe is an Ember Day Tart - a sort of
Medieval Quiche with raisins, it's from a 15th century English
cookbook.  It's quite easy to make, and if you cook it the night before
it will keep just fine in the refrigerator.

Ember Day Tart

     * 6 eggs
     * 1/2 medium onion, coarsley chopped
     * 1/2 lb. soft cheese, grated
     * 4 Tbsp. butter, melted
     * 1/2 cup zante raisins (a.k.a. "Dried Currants-Zante")
     * 1 Tbsp. sugar
     * 1 tsp. sage
     * 1 tsp. parsley
     * 1/2 tsp. ginger
     * 1/4 tsp. cinnamon
     * 1 pinch nutmeg
     * 1 pinch cloves
     * 1/4 tsp. salt

Parboil onions and fresh herbs and drain. Finely chop herbs. Beat eggs
and combine with melted butter, onions, and remaining ingredients, pour
into pie shell, and bake at 350°F for one hour.

Source:
Curye on Inglish
Constance B. Hieatt (ed.), Sharon Butler (ed.)
Oxford University Press
ISBN: 0-19-722409-1

"Tart in ymbre day. Take and perboile oynouns & erbis & presse out the
water & hewe hem smale. Take grene chese & bray it in a morter, and
temper it vp with ayren. Do therto butter, safroun & salt, & raisouns
corauns, & a litel sugar with powdour douce, & bake it in a trap, &
serue it forth."

- Doc