Copyright and violation (sorry) ( was [Sca-cooks] COPYING The secrets of the . . . )

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 21 13:26:36 PST 2002

If you read the ProQuest policy again, you will
see that their copyright is limited to the images
of the book.  That is all they can copyright.
Since the book itself is in public domain, if you
transcribe it and put the transcription [not the
images] on a website, you will not be in
violation of their copyright.  Or if you quote a
transcription of the book in your article but
don't use the actual images in your article, you
are not in violation of their policy.

As a librarian, I understand Johnnae's viewpoint.
As a researcher, I understand Nicolo's viewpoint.
This is something that has long been argued and
debated about by librarians.  What constitutes
"fair use"?  How many copies can you make or how
much of a book can you copy for educational
purposes?  It is a very grey area.

What Nicolo is saying is that he is too small a
fish for them to be concerned about.  I say
maybe.
But if everyone to them is appearing to violate
their copyright and you are the one that they
have caught, they may go to the expense to
prosecute you to send a message to all the
others.  They might find the cost of doing so
acceptable so that in the long run they will stop
the theft of their property.  I would hate to be
the one they test case on.

Huette

=====
shall never cease to be amused.