[Sca-cooks] recommendations for salt fish?

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Thu Nov 21 21:23:11 PST 2002

Katherine asked:
> A local ethnic grocery has salt fish, smoked herring, stockfish (ugly
> dried thing!), and I think some other types of medieval-food-compatible
> preserved fishies.

Wow. I have found the dried fish. But the smoked fish that I've found
seems to be just cosmetically smoked and still needs refrigeration to
keep from spoiling.

> Anyone got any recommendations for recipes to try out with this stuff?

Yes.
See this file in the Florilegium:
stockfish-msg     (96K)  9/10/01    Period preserved fish. Dried, smoked and
                                        salted fish. Recipes.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-MEATS/stockfish-msg.html

If you are exploring period fish dishes, you might also like these files:
fish-msg         (109K)  5/26/00    Medieval fish dishes. Fish in the SCA.
fish-pies-msg     (11K)  5/ 3/01    Period fish pies. Recipes.
salmon-msg        (64K) 10/24/02    Period use of Salmon. Recipes.
seafood-msg       (77K)  4/20/01    Medieval non-fish seafood. Recipes.
Shrympes-art      (16K) 10/11/01    "Shrympes" by Lady Constance de Larose.

This file in the FOOD-BY-REGION might also be of interest. there are a
number of "different" fish recipes from Iceland that Nanna has told
us about:
fd-Iceland-msg    (75K)  1/11/02    Food of medieval Iceland. Recipes.
fermented shark, anyone?

> Or is it all just nasty?
Nope. At least not all of it.

    Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas          stefan at texas.net