[Sca-cooks] recommendations for salt fish?

Phil Troy/ G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Fri Nov 22 04:17:14 PST 2002

Also sprach Stefan li Rous:
>Wow. I have found the dried fish. But the smoked fish that I've found
>seems to be just cosmetically smoked and still needs refrigeration to
>keep from spoiling.

Those are lightly-smoked variants, mostly for eating with bagels and
that sort of thing. Popular in various parts of Northern Europe, and
in the Caribbean, are, for example, salted herring, sometimes smoked
until it's hard as a rock. You have to process it before eating,
pretty much the same as for Smithfield Ham. It's a common item in
supermarkets around here, sold on those little styrofoam trays like
meat, but I think the shelf life is much longer than that of, say,
smoked sable or salmon.

Adamantius