[Sca-cooks] Freezing cider

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Thu Nov 21 22:15:36 PST 2002

Brighid ni Chiarain asked:
> I understand that apple cider can be frozen.  Can it be frozen in the
> plastic jugs?  Or will it expand too much and burst the container?

I think how full are the containers is the question. You can always
pour off some of the cider first, then freeze it. That would give the
cider room to expand without splitting the container.

Or you could simply "improve" the cider (assuming this is alcholic

cider) by partially freezing it and then pouring off the liquid to
another container, get rid of the ice and then repeat with the liquid
or then freeze. Just don't tell the ATF folks if you are in the US. :-)

    Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas         StefanliRous at austin.rr.com