[Sca-cooks] Freezing cider

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Fri Nov 22 18:40:12 PST 2002

Brighid ni Chiarain commented:
> On 19 Nov 2002, at 23:18, Phil Troy/ G. Tacitus Adamant wrote:
>> I think Brighid is thinking of using it for a sauce for her feast in
>> January???
>
> Yep.  It's one of the sauces for the ham.

Oooh. This sounds good. Perhaps I'll make this for the holidays. Can
you post the original and your redaction?

>> Since [I think] it involves reducing the cider, maybe you
>> could boil it down a bit, until it's mostly done, then put it back in
>> one or two bottles, and freeze it? Just leave a a little room in the
>> bottle, and don't cap it until it's frozen.
>
> I'm not sure that will work.  The sauce is made by combining cider,
> sugar, and whole spices (plus a little wine and vinegar), and boiling
> it down to half volume.  The spices flavor the sauce, and are then
> strained out; the sugar creates a syrup that is the consistency of
> honey when it cools.
So, why do you think that this wouldn't freeze well? Is it a problem

with sugar solutions not freezing? Even if it stays slushy, I'd think
it would still be cold enough to preserve it. Seperation? If it did,
couldn't you just mix it together again after you thaw it?

Hmmm. This sauce might be good on duck, as well as ham, and I still

have a frozen duck in the freezer.
    Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas         StefanliRous at austin.rr.com